Wednesday, October 22, 2014

My Insecurites- chopped off.

My hair got cut yesterday. 
It hasn't been this short since like 6th grade. 
If you've grown up having long hair you know how much it means to you. 
I grew up with a lot of insecurities regarding my weight, my looks & my lisp. 
My hair, was always something I could hide behind. It protected me from things that I saw in myself that I didn't like. A lot of times I just really don't like how I look. Sometimes I think I'm too chubby. Sometimes I think my face doesn't look nice. Sometimes I think,"Geesh, how do I even have friends?" I thought that was the one "pretty" thing about me, my hair. It made me feel like I was confident. But now, I'm starting to understand that confidence has nothing to do with looks. It has to do with inner strength. That is where true beauty lies. A woman's confidence is not determined by how long her hair is, how skinny she is and whether or not she has a lisp. Confidence is measured by the where the heart lies. Where your heart lies, that's where you find a unique confidence specific to who you are. 
I realized after suffering a mini anxiety attack during the process that my long hair was a curtain, hiding the hidden sunshine. 
I feel good, dude. My hair was not only weighing down my natural curls but also the weight of the past! 
It's been chopped off and it feels, literally and figuratively, great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment